This is a special post as it this blog’s first non-Chicago hotel! I recently visited Springfield for a work conference, and to be honest the 2.5 star rating on this Holiday Inn Express scared me senseless. I am happy to say that this hotel was surprisingly pleasant, and the renovations that are currently under works will be sure to please!
Standard Double Room
Rating: 3.5 Stars
- Cleanliness is Godliness: Besides the dust/paint from renovations, the hotel was very well kept from the lobby to the bathrooms to the bedding.
- Miscellaneous: There was a very nice fitness center on the first floor, and all guests get access to the pool in the Crowne Plaza – which is literally right next door.
- Shhhhh: I don’t know if it was just a quiet crowd this night, but the noise level for a completely full hotel was shockingly low. Even with the renovations and construction, I didn’t hear much of anything all night!
- Out With the Old, In With the New: Seriously guys, these renovations are awesome! They have a room close to the lobby that previews what the finished look of all the rooms will be, and I was thoroughly impressed. I won’t go on and on describing it, there are pictures below.
The Not So Good…
- Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder: As far as the non-renovated rooms go, there is no real aesthetic nature. It’s a practical room that serves it’s purpose. Bland colors, boring decor, etc.
- Pardon Our Dust: Now, I am very excited about the renovated rooms, but the random paint smudges on my wall and the hot water/heat being switched off was a little inconvenient. (The latter was fixed by maintenance)
- Hot Breakfast?: Let’s just say I tried everything and was not a fan of one hot continental breakfast item. I ended up opting for Frosted Flakes.
The Irrelevant: I don’t believe there was room service, but there are lots of places to eat within walking distance or a short cab ride.